My mom frequently asks me if she is too old for trends, etc. I remind her frequently that almost any trend is available to all, it just has to be done right. For example, my mom can do non-ripped BF jeans. Pastels are one of those seasonal trends that create a challenge for even the wiliest among us. I decided to break it down for you… I had to get a little creative with my own clothes because I have never been a big pastel girl — my love of all things grey and neon is too strong. But nevertheless, my mission — that I’ve chosen to accept — is to convince all of you (aunts, mom, Hannah and Chris), that pastels can be for you.
So without further ado I present…
Breaking into Pastels in FIVE easy steps:
1. Dip your toe into the shallow end by pairing it with BLACK. Remember your old friend, black, you know your constant companion (no judgment as I type this I am sitting wearing serviceable but classic black pants). Black is a great way to try pastel. See what I mean?
2. Take it to the opposite end of the spectrum with a neutral or a white piece. Same idea — wear something safe with something DANGEROUS, like a pastel blouse. 🙂
3. Now you are feeling a smidge braver? Try pastels with denim, that ought to really not take you too far from your comfort zone. A place filled with jeans and grey sweatshirty tops in my mind.
4. Now that we have introduced pastels into our daily life, let’s take it to the next level with monochrome.
5. It’s now or never time. Take it home with neon or patterns or bold colors.
In the end, pastels are not scary. Instead adding pastels to your wardrobe is an adventure. Not to mention it’s easy to find inspiration in the beautiful blue sky or the colors of the budding flowers. (I am getting a bit poetic.) Now and ever, be brave and try something new… maybe pastels could be your signature look for spring!